Food for thought Friday

It's Friday.

Allie and Maddie are both sleeping right now. Both. Asleep. At the same time.

What do I do now? I've been tiptoeing around the house so as not to awaken the beasties but every door creaks and I'm so scared that one small sound will awaken one... which will awaken the other. So I decided to write. Even my 100 wpm typing is not too loud to wake these babes.

Friday... it doesn't feel like Friday anymore. I remember many eons ago when I worked in an office Monday through Friday, I loved Fridays. I couldn't wait for them to get here and when they finally did it was a day of celebration. Treat myself to Starbucks. Browse blogs and Pinterest all day while doing the least amount of work possible. Maybe even treat myself to lunch.

But now? There's no Friday. Everyday is a Wednesday. Or something. But there's no weekends. No days off. No coming home and being lazy for the rest of the night. Just babies. Diapers. Feedings. Juice boxes. Chasing down a toddler who's run off with a permanent marker. Rocking a newborn while trying to keep a toddler from emptying her dresser drawer again. Stuffing my face with string cheese and cherry tomatoes every chance I get since real meals don't happen anymore (except for dinners. Maybe.) If it's a good day I'll get to shower AND brush my teeth.

For the most part, this time is a haze. And I hate it. I hate that my sleep-deprived self can't keep up with my precious babies. I hate that it's flying by so quickly that I can't seem to stop and enjoy the moments. Like sitting on Allie's floor reading a book to her because Maddie is napping. Or cuddling with Maddie after feeding her because Allie is napping. Or snuggling with both while also trying to protect Maddie from Allie's over-zealous kisses and hugs. I hate that I get to the end of the day and I feel like I can't remember everything that happened. Every new word Allie is picking up. Every laugh. Every newborn grunt that Maddie makes.

I know this haze is a phase. Ha. I made a rhyme. At any rate, I know it's going to pass by in the blink of an eye and soon both girls will be running around and who knows, maybe there will be a new newborn with a newborn haze phase. I think I've been reading too many Dr. Seuss books.

So as much as I can, I sit and watch Allie play outside in the mud, ignoring the thoughts of "That's gonna be a pain to wash out later". Instead of doing the dishes, I snuggle Maddie because soon she'll be too big and energetic for snuggles. I ignore the pile of laundry to have yet another tea party with Allie.

Not to say that I'll never do housework again, but just to say that I take every opportunity to enjoy my daughters because I know someday they'll be grown ups, managing their own homes. And I definitely won't look back and think "Gee, I wish I had kept up with the laundry more when Allie was growing up..."

Although now that I'm sitting here in the same clothes I wore to bed because I haven't done laundry, I'm thinking that.

Off to tackle that laundry pile. Have a lovely weekend!

Popular Posts