Life before/after babies

What did we do before babies?

This is the question that came to my mind on Sunday afternoon. Allie and Maddie had both been asleep for 3.5 hours.

Yeah, that's not a typo.

I have no idea why they both slept that long but they did. The bummer thing is I wish they had told me ahead of time they were going to sleep because I would've planned for a big project (like organizing the guest room). Instead I did some cleaning, some laundry, and some sitting.

Literally. Sat for a good 20 minutes and just thought. I don't even remember the last time I did something like that. I know I thought I was busy before I had kids, but I cannot for the life of me remember what I was busy with. Work? Projects? Baking things from scratch? I really have no idea. I think I used to workout but I can't remember.

All in all it was really  nice to have that little break to just sit and think to myself. No whining. No rushing toddlers to the bathroom. No calming a gassy baby. Just me and my thoughts. For 20 solid minutes.

And then Maddie woke up and needed to be fed and Allie woke up with a poopy diaper (since she still wears diapers for sleeping) and the chaos was full force all over again.

If I had to choose between the quiet moments and the chaotic every day, I'd choose chaos every time. I love these girls and there really is nothing I'd rather be doing than spending time with them. Quiet thinking time is overrated.

Popular Posts