Trends then and now

I don't know what my style is called... Trendy, comfortable, mom? Is "mom" a style? Anyway, I was at Target the other day and walking past the junior section, I was pretty surprised at what was going on. What's the trend these days? Well, just about everything. Hippie lace vests and floral bell-bottoms from the 70's, crop tops and acid wash from the 90s, mod psychedelic dresses from the 60's.

I never though acid wash jeans would come back into style. I should've kept my faded floral cotton dresses that were so popular in junior high. That is, when I was in junior high. I also should've told my mom to keep all the stuff she wore in high school because I swear I saw the exact same floral, poufy sleeved dresses.

And Birkenstocks. Nothing could've shocked me more to see these come back into style. Now I'll admit that they do look adorable on some people but I just don't get it. I even tried some on at Target to give them a second chance. Nope. I felt like I should've been wearing knee length cargo shorts, a khaki canvas polo and carrying a butterfly net with some sort of safari hat. They just didn't look good on me and I'm perfectly okay with that. I've got my eye on another set of sandals anyway.

All that to say, I really like embracing my own style. Sure I can pick and choose from what is "in" but it really comes down to what I'm comfortable in and expressing myself in my own way. And having a few classic, timeless pieces in your closet goes a long way, I think. That is what I find so appealing about fashion.

I'm just really bummed that I got rid of my overalls.

Popular Posts